Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Case for Zelda II



As a kid I was a huge fan of the original Legend of Zelda, like many of us were. When I think of how many hours I spent exploring the forests, shorelines, graveyards and dungeons in that first adventure it brings a smile to my face. I was such a fan that I went so far as to construct my own sword and shield out of wood, cut gravestones out of cardboard and stick them in our yard, and go on quests of my own. When I heard that a new Zelda game was coming out, my excitement peaked.


I first saw screenshots of the sequel in Nintendo Power and was immediately intrigued. It looked so different, but similar at the same time. I knew I had to have it and eventually convinced my parents to buy it for me. As I inspected the contents of the box on the way home from the store, my anticipation grew. I read the instruction manual cover-to-cover. Finally we got home and I raced up to my bedroom to start this new chapter.


I was immediately enthralled with the new configuration. Link seemed so huge! I exited Zelda's chamber and began the quest...



Some people aren't fans of Link's second adventure. They knock the changes from the first game, including the experience system, spells, side-scrolling controls, etc. Those are all valid gripes, but to me, those changes make it one of the best Zelda games ever released. It's ambitious. There's an atmosphere to it that hasn't been matched since. The music composition is some of the best on the NES. There are many different emotions that it brings out, even today. It took everything that made the original great and expanded on it. If I had to choose just one Zelda game to have with me for the rest of my days, no doubt this would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment